INVENTION BY 10 YO to SAVE CHILDREN IN HOT CARS
Invention by 10 year old to Save
Children in Hot Cars
Daisy, you are always talking about looking at a problem and coming up with a solution. That is what 10 year old Bishop Curry V did when he heard about a baby that died in a hot minivan last summer near his home in Melissa, Texas.
He says he was inspired to create a device he named “Oasis.” He hopes that it can be a life-saving tool that every parent could use.
The news reported that the number of children who overheated and died inside cars increased across the country last year with Texas having the highest number.
Bishop Curry’s dad said that, “sometimes babies fall asleep and they’re really quiet so if you’re rushing home from work or you’re rushing to the grocery store, I could see how somebody could forget.” He is an engineer for Toyota in Plano.
Bishop’s device is currently in the design phase. It is a tiny box that straps onto a child’s car seat that can detect if a child is left inside the vehicle. When temperatures in the car become too high, Oasis starts blowing cool air on the child’s face and an antenna inside the box also notifies the parents and local emergency services about the possible danger.
“It would be a dream to have lots of inventions that would save many lives,” he said.
Bishop, who is in 5th grade, already has a provisional patent on the “Oasis” and Toyota has already taken notice of the invention.
Sounds like a great invention!